The ancient quarry that faces the sea
On the mountain range of Verezzi in a spectacular setting that is projected over the Ligurian Sea up to the Gallinara island and Capo Mele there is an ancient quarry of Verezzi stone known as the “old quarry”.
It was surly active already in the 16th century when the reddish-brown stone was extracted by hand and destined to the prestigious aristocratic buildings in Genoa and in the feud of the Doria family in Loano.
The extraction activities of the quarry were carried out in tunnels. In 1900 the collapse of the large vault of the tunnel brought an end to the activities.
HOW TO REACH
How to reach the site
The site can be reached by following a bit of the ancient quarry road that branches off from the road that links Borgio and Verezzi, where there is the restaurant “Il Mulino”, and by following the path on foot or by bike. Alternatively, there is a path from Borgio. The site is part of the nature trail “dei carri matti”, organised by the Town of Borgio Verezzi and the CAI of Finale.
Calendar of visits