30 June 2020

Rialto

In Italian Rialto means "creek that springs from high up". This area takes its name from the fact that it occupies the higher part of the Pora Valley reaching up to the springs of the creek and the top of Mount Settepani (1386 metres above sea level).
8 June 2020

The Middle Ages

4 June 2020

The courthouse in Finalborgo

Since the middle ages the courthouse in Finale is remembered as the “building where justice was administrated” by the Del Carretto marquises. This building represents a beautiful example of power architecture, that, until a few years ago, had maintained for centuries its original function.
4 June 2020

Convent of Santa Caterina in Finalborgo

The Dominican convent and the church dedicated to Saint Catherine of Alessandria were founded during the second half of the 14th century by the Del Carretto marquises as the main area of devotion of the family.
4 June 2020

Porta Testa in Finalborgo

The Testa medieval gate opens on the western side of the walls of Finalborgo, from which passed the road that connected with Gorra, Melongo and with the Calice valley. The gate was built by Giovanni I Del Carretto in 1452, as the inscription in gothic characters tells us on the arch:
27 May 2020

Sant’Eusebio church of Perti

The medieval church of Sant’Eusebio of Perti, with its romanic crypt (11th century), is one of the most important and fascinating religious buildings in Finale.
27 May 2020

The walls of Finalborgo

Finalborgo still has its medieval walls in which the doors give access to the town. The walls have square or semicircular towers, like the ones preserved on the southern side of the walls.
27 May 2020

Church of Sant’Antonino of Perti

The church of Sant’Antonio rises in an uncontaminated landscape at the top of a steep hill in the inland of Finale, surrounded by the ruins of the walls and the towers of the ancient byzantine castle, built between the 6th and 7th century A.D. to defend Liguria from the Lombard invasions.
27 May 2020

Castel San Giovanni

Castel San Giovanni was built by the Spanish in the 17th century and is characterised by impressive pincer walls: from its terraces there is a wonderful view of Finalborgo, the surrounding valleys and the sea. It fits perfectly into the hillside above the town and it can be reached with a five-minute walk along the ancient Beretta road.
X