Calice Ligure – Farming and Arts
The main nucleus of the village of Calice Ligure is in the Pora Creek Valley, where the land is given over to orchards, vineyards, olive groves and vegetable gardens. Local farming benefits from a working system of historical canals – called bealere. One of these canals, called “Bea del Follo“, generates enough power to heat the new school built near Saint Libera’s Chapel. Besides watering the fields, the bealere-canals would bring water to the local sawmills and public wash houses. The surrounding hills and the hamlets of Carbuta and Eze form a sort of ‘goblet-shaped pattern’ [t.n. calice = goblet] around the main village of Calice. This area also includes Pian Dei Corsi (1029 metres above sea level) – much loved by bikers.
The famous painter and sculptor Emilio Scanavino moved to Calice Ligure in 1964 where he created a colony of international artists, gallerists and art critics. Indeed, the “House of the Consul”, a recently renovated, 19th-century mansion house is home to a fine Museum of Contemporary Art, and not far away, the parish church of Saint Nicolò was built in the Baroque style.
HOW TO REACH
How to reach the site
If travelling on the A10 motorway from Genoa, Turin or Milan, take the Feglino exit; from all other directions take the Finale Ligure exit. A regular bus service runs from the railway station in Finalmarina.
Feel free to use fact sheets and website of the Museo Archeologico del Finale to tour the town and its monuments.